Monday, May 24, 2010

Oh What a Beautiful Day!

So right now I am sitting on the veranda at our house looking outside to the beautiful garden that our host parents keep. It reminds me of my mom and grandma and how much they would love it. With a little exploring I have found that most of the flowers are in the back and side yard of the house while the front has the veggies and other types of plants like that. This week, our host family is in Italy on vacation, with Fannie (our host sister) coming home Wednesday and Gerda and Michl returning on Sunday - which means molly and I are in charge of watering the house plants and flowers outside if it doesn't rain enough.

This weekend in Salzburg was amazing, the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I have decided that someday I am coming back and hiking through the alps. The best part was we only saw the edge of them, so i can't even imagine what it would be like to be in the middle of them! The other part of the trip that really was meaningful (minus the whole city of Salzburg) was when we made a trip to the concentration camp on the way back. Going though the buildings, seeing the pictures and memorials, really just broke my heart. The most ironic thing was that this place that was fully of death and disaster was surrounded by a beautiful landscape of rolling hills and valleys. It make me wonder why something so terrible was surrounded by such beauty?

But to move on a lighter subject, this is the first day that it hasn't rained and I have gotten to wear something other than jeans or pants because it is actually warm. It has rained for the past 12 days, and its supposed to again tonight...but I am crossing my fingers that the forecast is wrong. I have never been so sick of rain in my whole life. And I love to explore the city (like today we went down to the area of the University of Vienna), and it is so much easier to do when it is nice and sunny!

Plans for tonight we are going out to dinner with some of the girls also in the program that live down the road from us, which I am looking forward too! I am not looking forward to my midterm tomorrow in my class though. I mean, my studying has been going really thus far, since I am writing this with my books laying closed around me.... whoops. But I figure I am only in Vienna once though so I will just use those awesome cramming skills I have acquired thanks to the nursing program and hopefully do well.
A few more observations I have made while over here (i know this post is all over the place, sorry) but they are the following
1. People here don't really wear flip flops over here. They mostly wear closed toe shoes, even when its warm or nice sandals, but not flip flops as much.
2. The don't have peanut butter in anything. There are no chocolates or pastries or gelato with peanut butter in it. The basically use marzipan or Nutella instead, two things that we don't use that much in the States. Our host family does have peanut butter though so that is a plus.
3. It is really hard to find a cheap cup of what we would consider to be "regular" coffee. They don't really drink it like that over here as much, and it is more expensive to get things (since I am not really a big fan of shots of espresso). Trust me, Molly has noticed this a LOT. :)


Well, pray for us to have good weather and stay safe for the next 11 days until we return home.
Now I am off to enjoy the sunshine - oh an study too... ;)
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment